Sunday, February 6, 2011

The End?

That's right, I finally typed them.  Those words that mean I brought my characters through their story and to - the end.  Then I messed around with where they were on the page.  Too high?  Too low?  Ah, now that's just right.

And with that, my manuscript is (very nearly) complete.  There's one pesky chapter that is just plain not coming together.  So, I'll edit and revise around it.  Maybe then it will figure itself out, because sure as heck I can't figure it out.

Now it occurs to me that I have a lot of tidying up to do.  My manuscript has been through changes in point of view - first person to third back to first, and I've thrown out and rewritten things that are mentioned in other chapters.

I've evolved Hannah and Marc to the point that I must expunge any remnants of their former selves, although I do have to say that I never really changed Garrett.  I always knew who he was and what he was all about.  And Hannah's mom suddenly appeared out of nowhere in the story.  Perhaps it would be better manners to introduce her officially?

I'm excited to submit my samples to three of the four agents that requested them.  The fourth will have to wait for me to fix the middle, because I still have to get the suck out.  I'm also wondering if the ending is too much of, "and they lived happily ever after, the end."  It may be too short, but I need a day before I can go re-read it.  I'm still too engrossed in last night's accomplishments.  It probably does need some development, but then that means my "the end" really isn't "the end" and the thought of that right now is too depressing to contemplate on any real level.

So, I'm going to spend the rest of my night happily fooled into the belief that I'm done writing Near Mrs.  And when I'm ready, I'll face the demons that await.

No comments:

Post a Comment